|Project name:||European Learning and Intelligent Systems Excellence|
|Supported by:||H2020-ICT-48: Towards a vibrant European network of AI excellence centres, RIA|
|Project Duration:||9/2020 – 08/2023|
|Budget:||Overall Budget: 11.984 mil. EUR
CIIRC CTU Budget: 1.1 mil. EUR
|Principal Investigator at CIIRC:||Dr. Ing. Josef Šivic|
|Project Coordinator:||Aalto Korkeakoulusaatio Sr, Finland|
|Project Partners:||Aalto University
University of Tübingen
University of Amsterdam
Technical University of Denmark
Johannes Kepler Universität
University of Cambridge
Consorzio Interuniversitario Nazionale Per L’informatica
Universitat de València
Max Planck Society
Radboud University Nijmegen
University College London
Knowledge 4 all Foundation
The European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELLIS, ellis.eu) is a pan-European scientific organization which focuses on research and the advancement of modern artificial intelligence (AI), which relies heavily on machine learning methods such as deep neural networks that allow computers to learn from data and experience.
ELISE utilizes the forthcoming network of ELLIS centres of excellence in machine learning-driven fields and is built on 105 organizations in total. The network is set up to be attractive to students and experienced researchers, to sustain itself at the highest level research in academia, and to bring our worldwide research community closer.
ELISE runs a PhD student and a postdoc programme to attract and to educate world-class talents to Europe. ELISE creates a mobility program for experienced researchers, consisting of research visits and workshops, to foster new ideas and collaborations. ELISE will demonstrate use cases to be implemented in AI4EU-on-demand platform and the SME’s of Europe and accelerate an integration of machine learning technologies by SMEs, start-ups and incubators.
CIIRC CTU as a work package leader is coordinating the mobility program for experienced researchers with the goal to support short- and long-term scientific visits within the AI community. CIIRC CTU also contributes to ELISE Open Calls for SMEs and start-ups.
- Geometric Deep Learning: graph, group and gauge convolutions
- Robust Machine Learning
- Interactive Learning and Interventional Representations
- Machine Learning and Computer Vision
- Robot Learning: Closing the Reality Gap!
- Human-centric Machine Learning
- Theory, Algorithms, and Computations of Modern Learning Systems
- Quantum and physics-based Machine Learning
- Natural Intelligence
- Machine Learning in Earth and Climate Sciences
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Multimedia / multimodal information
- Information retrieval
- Explainability and Fairness in Data Mining
- Symbolic Machine Learning
THE OBJECTIVES OF ELISE
1) Establish a network of excellent researchers and laboratories that act as local anchors across Europe, representing the community, provide experts within society, and coordinate a joint effort across the continent.
2) Build an attractive training network for junior scientists that keeps them in Europe by offering the highest quality training for Academic Excellence in Machine Learning.
3) Make industry involved with elite academic research so that participating companies’ AI/ML research competences will rival those of large industry laboratories.
4) Establish a sustainable ecosystem of machine learning stakeholders covering the value network to facilitate and accelerate the broad integration of machine learning technologies.
5) Make concrete, research-based steps to obtain ethical, robust, and trustworthy AI / ML methods and practices.
ELISE WILL IMPLEMENT SIX DIFFERENT ACTIVITY STREAMS TO ACHIEVE THESE OBJECTIVES:
- ELISE builds and executes a European Strategic Research Agenda in AI.
- ELISE creates a mobility program for experienced researchers, consisting of research visits and workshops, to foster new ideas and collaborations.
- ELISE builds a PhD & Postdoc program with strong industrial connections, where emerging researchers can visit other participating academic and industrial laboratories and have supervisors from both.
- ELISE connects researchers to resource owners.
- ELISE increases innovations by providing expertise and networking to industrial actors.
- ELISE spreads knowledge to academic organizations, industries, and society.